Monday, March 27, 2006

SOME CURRENT FILMS AND A LOOK AT A FILM NOIR FAVORITE

By Jim McAllister

There are a lot of good movies out at the present time, three of which I reviewed last week in this space ("Match Point", "The World’s Fastest Indian", and "Mrs. Henderson Presents"). I recently saw "Transamerica" starring Felicity Huffman of "Desperate Housewives" fame. She is great in this one and should have received more support for Best Actress at the Oscars but that is the plight one faces when they star in a small but expertly made production. Next on my list is "Heart of Gold", a Neil Young concert film made at the Ryman Auditorium in Nashville, former home to the Grand Ole Opry. Early reports say that it is excellent and a must for Young fans; I’ll see about that and let you know.
All of this is encouraging as there has been a bit of a dry spell for good quality small production movies lately. If it is not showing at an art house, I usually will not be showing up with my $6.00. So, thank you "Good Night and Good Luck", The Squid and the Whale", "Capote", and those listed above for getting me back to the show.
Please do not misunderstand. I love these new movies but I still think that the golden age of Hollywood exists between 1930 and 1950. Maybe in another fifty years or so we can look back and evaluate whether the newer films have withstood the all important test of time. Perhaps someday we will remember the fine dialogue of David Strathairn as Edward R. Murrow as we remember the moving final words from Jane Darwell as Ma Joad in "The Grapes of Wrath" (1940). Only time will tell.

No comments: