Wednesday, December 14, 2005

SCOTTSDALE, ARIZONA: FANTASYLAND, U.S.A.

by Jim McAllister

(Author's note: The three topics mentioned here have been controversial in Scottsdale: Speed cameras on a very dangerous freeway to attempt to stop the carnage, huge American flags on a large tent roof located in a fairgrounds area, and the installation of light rail. In the following paragraphs I give my opinion, what is yours? If you are from elsewhere in the country how would you feel if these items applied to your area?)

I have lived in Scottsdale since 1987 and I have never regretted the decision to leave the icy winter climes of Kansas City and Cincinnati for this oasis in the desert. It's not that those are bad places. I grew up in Cincy and lived in Kansas City for many years after being stationed there in the Air Force so I had to leave many good friends behind but I felt the time had come to make my move. I think it all started when I was a kid in Cincinnati and would watch the football games from the west coast on television and see everybody in the stands in their bright colored clothes, laughing and having fun in the sunshine. As I watched the games it would be dark in Ohio, usually with icy rain beating against the windows, and the prospect of another thirty days without sunshine. Winter in the mid-west: ugh! Unlike the typical conservative Cincinnatian who would never leave their home town, all I could think about was the day I could live out west and fulfill my lifetime dream: to wear shorts and see lawn sprinklers operating on New Year's Day.

No comments: